Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Huxley's Otherworldy Glow

  1. #1
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    Aldous Huxley anyone?
    Door of Perception/ Heaven and Hell.

    Having just spent the last few months editing a video together, and previously editing a film (albeit super8) I know why film is utterly superior to Video.

    Its the light. Shining a light through it.

    One day, perhaps 10 years in the future, when we have all forgotten film, and are lobotomising ourselves with a barrage of digital pulp, someone will rediscover celluloid.
    People will watch...and be awe struck. Drop Jawed.
    It will live again.
    ha ha ha ha ha !!!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry, me, the troublemaker, must beg to differ.

    At a 'bods only' pre-screening of Phantom Menace (perhaps not the best film to choose) a celluliod version and a digital version were projected on state of the art kit.

    Apparently no-one could tell the difference.

    We live in a digital world, *WE* are 1's and 0's - ie we either ARE or we ARE NOT. The context may change, sure, but the question, the 'bit' remains. 1 or 0, Yes or No. Perhaps there is a third state, the 'Maybe', the 'grey area', but ask David Bohm about that one!

    I believe analogue to be a bit of a fallacy. There MUST be a smallest unit, or how would anything ever move?


    BTW, the one thing I don't like about digital is that is doesn't physically exist in a way we understand, like film. What I mean is, you can hold film up to the light and have a look, it is a very real medium.

    I mean, in 2000 years time, after the loss of this civilisation (etc etc) what are anthropologists more likely to understand - a bitmap stored on a CD or your great aunt's family photo album.

    So many things come to nothing when we exclude electricity methinks :-(

    [This message has been edited by miker (edited September 08, 2000).]

  3. #3
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    you'll see. just wait.

    You might be in a state of AM or AM NOT, miker, but there absolutley nothing in my life so black and white.

    Its all one continuous flux.

    Viva la FILM !!!!
    (and I promise not to post any more on the subject smile

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Stop smokinjg those funny fags then ;-)

  5. #5
    Inactive Member edenrepublik's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2000
    Posts
    53
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It seems that when I make/watch movies, the ones on film have a warmth that digital doesn't. Digital is crystal clear and perfect, pixel for pixel; real life is not. I believe the objest of film making is to heighten reality. You can't get real with a machine. It's almost like my guitar, when I plug it straight into my tube amp, it sounds warm. When it's plugged into a effects processor, it sounds too cold and mechanical. Film is better.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I remember the EXACT same debate when CD's first came out.

    Ah well, guess we'll have to wait for the next generation to grow up. You know, the ppl who are not afraid of change.

    'Film is warmer' - what the frag are you talking about? Didn't read the previous post? NO FUCKER COULD TELL THE DIFFERENCE!!!

    Okay, so it's not the sort of kit you'll find on the high-street, but this technology DOES filter down to 'consumer' level.

    Every single itty bitty quirk of film CAN be emulated digitallly. I bet you've seen films where u weren't even aware they were altered digitally to change the sky, remove a rig etc..

    Anyway, even FILM wasn't perfect when it 'first came out' - it was sepia for starters!!!

    You gotta give this technology time to mature, then use it like any other tool. Work smarter, play harder ;-)

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Its usually easy to tell digital from film but I'm sure they can, as you say, they can emulate all the quirks of film.

    But there will always be people you prefer film and it won't completely disapear.
    Just like vinyl/CD, tube/transistors, etc.

    I think its a safe bet Hollywood will take up digital. Anything to keep the costs down.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •